The Purpose of Root Canal Treatment
The goal of a root canal treatment is to remove the bacteria and inflamed tissue inside the root canal of the tooth, which allow the surrounding tissues to heal.
The nerve can become damage or infected due to the following factors:
- Tooth decay that has reached the root canal
- Fractured tooth caused by injury or structural weakness
- Excessive dental treatment previously done on a tooth
- Failed dental crown
- Gum disease
- Any factors that allow infectious bacteria to enter the exposed pulp
If properly carried out, a tooth treated with a root canal can last a lifetime. Success rates for root canal treatment are generally good. Approximately 90% to 95% of patients who undergo the procedure experience a successful outcome. The treated root is expected to last for a very long time, so long as you maintain good dental care and generally pay attention to your treated tooth.
Situations that Indicate You Need Root Canal Treatment
- Moderate to severe tooth pain when consuming hot or cold foods
- Extreme toothache that it wakes you up in the middle of the night
- Pain when biting or chewing foods
- Swelling on the gums, which may release blood or pus when pressed
- Pain that radiates or starts in one tooth to other regions of the jaw or head (for instance, an infected lower molar may cause pain in the ear)
The Root Canal Treatment Procedure
A thorough examination by your dentist will help him determine what the exact cause of the problem is and the best treatment to solve the situation. This examination usually includes an X-ray to check for inflammation in nearby bone and to determine the shape of the root canal. Your dentist will expose the infected root canal and remove the dental pulp, nerves and blood vessels.
The root canal areas are then filled using a sterile, inert material to replace the infected pulp and preserve the tooth’s integrity. To complete the procedure, your dentist will then seal the root canal with a permanent filling or install a dental crown. A root canal usually requires at least two visits and possibly more, depending on your situation.
Root Canal Treatment at Smart Smile Dental
At Smart Smile Dental, we want you to enjoy exceptional oral health and long-lasting, trouble-free dental solutions. We offer the most advanced, safe, effective and pain-free procedures and will provide you with the most comfortable treatments possible. For excellent root canal solutions in Deer Park, visit your dental care partners at Smart Smile Dental today.
At Smart Smile Dental in Deer Park, our goal is to make quality dental care affordable. We encourage you to take advantage of our latest offers.