Wisdom teeth are sometimes extracted when they begin to cause problems in the mouth. Wisdom teeth can become stuck, or impacted, unable to break through the jawbone and into the mouth. The mouth can also be too small to accommodate wisdom teeth, or wisdom teeth can grow at an angle to other teeth either damaging or displacing them
Impacted Wisdom Teeth
Impacted wisdom teeth can often result in problems such as the following:
- Pain and discomfort
- Infection in the overlying gums
- Damage to the front tooth caused by pressure from the impacted tooth
- Difficult in cleaning back teeth, which can eventually lead to tooth decay.
Wisdom Tooth Removal
Fully emerged wisdom teeth can be removed easily. But with the case of impacted molars, a surgical approach may be necessary. The procedure, which is called wisdom tooth removal, can involve lifting some of the gum around the impacted tooth in order to remove the tooth. The gums are then stitched back into place.
After the procedure, you may experience some swelling and discomfort for a few days, particularly when surgery has been involved. On the other hand, if you follow your dentist’s home care instructions you will significantly reduce the risk of complications and other issues.
Why is Wisdom Tooth Removal Important?
- Infections can occur if an impacted wisdom tooth is not removed. You will experience pain, swelling, uncomfortable sensation, and stiffness in the jaw.
- Impacted wisdom teeth are hard to clean due to their location in the mouth.
- Redness, swelling, bad odour, difficulty in opening the jaw and other illnesses connected with wisdom teeth may cause serious infection.
The Link Between Wisdom Tooth Removal and Smoking
Smoking after your wisdom tooth surgery delays your healing process and increases your risk of dry socket according to ADA.
In the news
In addition, the tar from cigarette smoke stains your teeth, causes bad breath and can discolour your tongue. The only way to remove these stains is with a professional cleaning in the dentist’s office.
Effective Wisdom Tooth Solutions at Smart Smile Dental
If a wisdom tooth is causing you some discomfort, the best way to deal with the problem is to visit your trusted Deer Park dentist at Smart Smile Dental today and schedule your wisdom tooth consultation in Deer Park. We have handled a vast range of simple and complex wisdom tooth condition over the years.
At Smart Smile Dental in Deer Park, our goal is to make quality dental care affordable. We encourage you to take advantage of our latest offers.