All the sugary treats and drinks we consume during the holiday can have painful and destructive effects on our smile. And in the hustle and bustle of the holidays even the most conscientious person can fall out of their good dental habits.
This holiday, with the assistance of Smart Smile Dental, give your teeth and smile the gift of great dental care!
How Sugar Harms Teeth
Harmful oral bacteria feed on the sugar you eat and create acids that attack the tooth enamel: the shiny, protective outer layer of the tooth. Cavities are a bacterial infection made possible by acids that bore holes in teeth.
Without treatment, cavities can progress past the enamel and into the deeper layers of the tooth, causing pain and possible tooth loss.
The friendly professionals at Smart Smile Dental are partners in your long-term oral health.
Holiday dental health strategies
- Don’t break rules, bend them: The fact is that nobody achieves all their goals. So if you are going to “break the rules” during the holidays? Maybe just bend them instead. Have a small slice of pie, not two large ones. Then return to good behavior!
- Floss and brush: Brush at least twice a day and floss before bed. Make this part of your typical routine and try to never deviate from the routine. Brushing should take a minimum of two minutes, which you can time by humming or getting an electronic toothbrush with a timer built in.
- Carry dental tools with you: You probably can’t entirely avoid sugary sweets. So pick up some extra toothbrushes and mini-tubes of toothpaste for everyone in your family to carry. Get some trial size packages of mouthwash and dental floss and you are ready to go!
- Make less-sticky choices food choices: Sugar-related problems occur if a sugary coating remains on your teeth. Choose treats that don’t leave a sticky residue, particularly if you are unable to brush immediately. Also, choose less sticky food like fruit salad over muffins, or cake over chocolate fudge.
- Eat well: Most holiday time is actually spent at home, so make meals that are healthy and not sugar-filled. Eating nutritious food means less space for sugary foods. Good nutrition is good for you dental health and your general health.
- Make a January dental appointment: Contact Smart Smile Dental to make an appointment for January. It only makes sense to get your dental health checked right after the last of the seasonal excesses. A minor problem in January could become something much bigger if not treated. Be certain that the New Year begins with great dental health!
Improve your smile today at Smart Smile Dental in Deer Park
To enhance the overall look of your teeth as well as your overall dental health, visit your Deer Park dentist at Smart Smile Dental. We offer a comprehensive range of preventative, general and cosmetic dental procedures to improve the quality of your smile. At Smart Smile Dental experience the benefits of a healthy and good-looking smile for the holidays and beyond!
Contact us on (03) 8390 5778 or online to claim your FREE Consultation.
Our Special Offers
At Smart Smile Dental, our goal is to make top-notch dental care easy and affordable. For more information, visit our special offers page today!