As part of Children’s Week (starting 21–29 October), Smart Smile Dental wants all Australians to know that healthy teeth in childhood is the first step towards healthy teeth in adulthood, less dental disease, and better overall health.
Children’s Week is an annual event celebrated in Australia during the fourth week in October and focuses the attention of the wider community on children, their needs, and achievements.
In support of Children’s Week, Smart Smile Dental is highlighting the importance of looking after your teeth from an early age.
In 2014, Professor David Manton, Vice-Chair of the ADA’s Oral Health Committee, said: “Half of all Australian six year olds have tooth decay in their baby teeth. There is significant information available to suggest that if dental disease can be avoided in childhood then it is likely to be avoided or significantly reduced in later life.
Likewise, if dental disease arises in childhood it is inevitably a predictor of dental disease for later life.”
So, one of the gifts that we can give our children during Children’s Week is the gift of dental health, because it can be the gift of a healthier life!
Dental Care For Children
It is very important that children learn from a young age how to look after their teeth and gums. Here’s how:
- Try to get into a regular tooth brushing routine, and give your child plenty of praise when they brush their teeth well.
- Brush your child’s teeth twice a day, using small circular motions. Their teeth should be cleaned after eating and before bed using toothpaste with fluoride that is suitable for children, which can help to strengthen the outside of the teeth and prevent decay.
- Replace toothbrushes or toothbrush heads every three months.
- You should supervise, or help children with their tooth brushing, until they are at least seven years old.
- You should supervise flossing until they are about ten years old.
- When they start brushing by themselves, check every few days to make sure they are doing it properly.
- Make sure your child has dental check-ups twice a year.
- Ensure your child eats a healthy, balanced diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables.
- Try to keep sweet foods and drinks to a minimum.
- As your child’s adult teeth grow through, you should make your dentist aware of any misalignment of the teeth or jaw. They will advise if corrective treatment is required.
Why should my child see a dentist?
Regular check-ups by a dentist help with good dental habits and can prevent costly and painful problems later.
It is important that your first visit to the dentist happens while your child still has baby teeth to help put in place habits that will protect their permanent teeth.
When should my child visit the dentist?
Your child should start to see a dentist before their first birthday, or when their first teeth come in.
Your child should also see a dentist:
- as soon as a possible dental problem is noticeable
- before they start playing sports
- if you notice dark spots in the pits of the teeth
- if the upper and lower teeth do not come together correctly
Protect the Dental Health of Your Children
Protecting the health of your child’s smile is important for their wellbeing, during Children’s Week and beyond. At Smart Smile Dental, we welcome the opportunity to care for the smiles of our youngest patients. Our dental team enjoys working with parents and kids to protect those beautiful smiles at our office in the Deer Park area.
We Love Your Kids!
Going to the dentist does not need to be scary. Beginning dental treatments from an early age can help kids feel comfortable with receiving dental care. Our dental team loves kids and ensures they feel comfortable and at ease when they come in for routine visits.
If you are searching for quality, kid-friendly dentist contact Smart Smile Dental today! We are committed to excellent dental care for all our patients. We bulk bill for young patients eligible for the Child Dental Benefit Schedule, which provides basic dental services to qualifying children. CDBS services are capped at $1,000 over two consecutive calendar years.
The two-year cap period starts when a patient first receives an eligible dental service.
Your Trusted Family Dentist in Deer Park
If you have a child in need of treatment, or any other dental issues, do not hesitate to call us at Smart Smile Dental on (03) 8390 5778.
Visit us today and take advantage of CDBS (Child Dental Benefits Schedule) and receive up to $1,000 worth of basic dental treatments over 2 calendar years.
Smart Smile Dental is open from Monday to Saturday to cater to all your dental needs.